It’s DECEMBER. HUZZAH! *fanfare*
I have this rule about Christmas where I try (try is the operative word here) not to get all Christmassy before actual December, because it’s a really special time of year and I want to keep it that way. In recent times, however, this has changed to “After Father Debs’ bday” (26th of November if anyone wants to send him a card next year haha) because I reach a point where I absolutely just can’t hold it in any more!
I’ve particularly been looking forward to Christmas this year, for a number of reasons:
- On Christmas Eve last year, a moron hit my car and drove off. I was fine and so was the car – well, minus her wee smashed face – but as you can imagine, it put a bit of a dampener on my Christmas and I spent most of Christmas Eve bubbling through shock.
- 2016. Need I say more?
- My new job allows me to take time off in December, so I’ve got a few days before Christmas and a fair few after!
- The aforementioned new job, while I love it, has been utterly mental since I started, so I’m just really looking forward to chilling out.
While we’re in list mode, these are the films I want to watch over the festive season, I didn’t get nearly enough of them watched last year so I have high hopes for this year!
- Home Alone (already watched it, yass)
- Home Alone 2
- The Polar Express
- Santa Clause (we watch this on Christmas Eve, it’s one of my fave traditions!)
- Miracle On 34th St (the remake because Mara Wilson)
- Arthur Christmas – a new addition to the list as I watched it for the first time last year and thought it was great!
- The First Snow Of Winter – an adorable Irish animation starring Dermot Morgan, Miriam Margolyes and Sorcha Cusack, which without fail makes me sob every single time.
- The Snowman
- The Snowman and the Snowdog <- both of those as above RE the sobbing
- Rise Of The Guardians
- AD/BC – hilarious rock opera by Matt Berry
- The Holiday, mostly because Eli Wallach reminds me of my gran’s cousin’s husband – both of them are now no longer with us so it’s extra poignant.
- And of course – Muppet Christmas Carol!
I will also be watching as many terrible/amazing Channel 5 Christmas films as possible, they are just the right amount of cheese!
(I also will sadly not be watching Edward Scissorhands this year, for obvious reasons. Even though Will’s maw is in it.)
Christmas will be slightly different this year, as Brother Debs is spending actual Christmas Day at the pub his gf’s aunt and uncle run – so we’re having our Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve with them, but my bro will be with us for Christmas morning and a “lavish” breakfast, which obviously I’m massively excited about. Then myself, Mother and Father Debs will spend the rest of the day drinking and snacking – we’ve got pastry cases and we’re going to make canapés from leftovers, as well as other pastry-based goodies. Yay!
Also on Christmas Eve will be the traditional present-swapping with Mr Debs. We realised that this is our SIXTH Christmas together, which is nuts! We never actually spend Christmas Day with each other because we’re both too selfish to give up spending it with our respective families, but obviously there are many obligatory selfies with various presents/food/booze on the day that we send each other 🙂
So basically I am really really really looking forward to all of this! What are your thoughts on Christmas? Are there are traditions you have that you’re excited about?
Let me know!
Til next time,